A proper old git says hello

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

Bingo

New User
Feb 6, 2017
I'm going to put this right out there: I will be 50 before the year's out. Yeah, I know it's just a number but it seems weird to write as until a very few years ago I have always felt like I'm still 21 and playing Populous, Doom, Sensible Soccer or UT. Now I feel like I'm nearer to 23.

Anyway, I have always loved games (PC mainly but I have also done a lot of FIFA on XBox 1). However, I managed to find enough of a sense of proportion 20 years ago to get married to someone wonderful enough to accept my gaming - even if she doesn't share it. We have two great kids (8 and 11) who are also gamers so I feel like I've done my bit to hand on the torch.

This is a hard top ten to decide on but all time favourites are:

1 Battlefield 42
2 Unreal Tournament
3 Strike Force - UT tactical mod
4 Call of Duty
5 Rise of Nations
6 Age of Empires
6 Football Manager
7 Battlefield 2
8 Doom
9 Lunar Jet Man - old Spectrum game
10 Modern Warfare 2 - but I hate the futuristic gadget driven direction it's been going since

The minute I post this I'll kick myself for not mentioning any number of wonderful games which I've also loved but there we go.

I was a member of a great COD clan over 10 years ago but had to drop out because of family commitments and, although I'm certainly not a great player, I try to work with the squad and have fun. I'm still learning the maps and mechanics of BF1 but this, along with FM17, is my staple at the moment.

My job should give me a reasonable amount of time to play, especially over the next couple of months so I hope my application will be well received by the top brass and look forward to seeing you online.

One thing I did wonder about that you might be able to tell me: when I was last in a clan we played ranked games on Clanbase but that seems to have died a death. Has nothing replaced it and does that mean there are no leagues for BF1?

Zero

Clan Founder
Staff member
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jan 5, 2010
Bucks, England
www.theoldgitsarmy.co.uk
Welcome Bingo, nice Intro :)

Well, apart from number 2 on your list which should be :first: of course! Have you been keeping an eye on the new UT in development? :popcorn:

Bingo

New User
Feb 6, 2017
Welcome Bingo, nice Intro :)

Well, apart from number 2 on your list which should be :first: of course! Have you been keeping an eye on the new UT in development? :popcorn:

I wasn't aware but I've just had a look at a video about it. Some of the maps brought back a lot of memories. I will definitely be getting that when it's finished. Me and my brothers had a ton of fun with that 20 years ago!

westonwarrior

Clan Leader
Staff member
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jul 11, 2010
Weston-super-Mare
hi Bingo
nice intro and at 50 your not that old compared to some of us

Clown

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Dec 14, 2015
Wales
Hi Bingo,

Lunar Jetman, loved that game still got the cassette somewhere.

Bl@ckthorn

Head Admin
Staff member
Recruitment
Tactician
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Oct 27, 2010
Bury England
Hi and welcome bingo hope to cya soon ingame and in ts

slYer

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 4, 2014
London
Hi and welcome, it's nice to have a young person joining for a change... :)

Last edited:

Nip

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 8, 2014
Birmingham UK
Hi Bingo
Welcome to toga land
I am still a member of a COD clan Dogs of War
Look forward to seeing you in game

waffey73

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jan 15, 2015
Norfolk
Hi bingo, Nice Intro
you still are a spring chicken, remember its all in the mind M8, Oh i still play at 70 still a crap player but still enjoying gaming :lol::)