Fish keeping and similar hobbies

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

JumpMaster

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 17, 2012
Holon, Israel
Just a few photos

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419966209937.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419966209937.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 5
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419966243917.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419966243917.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 5
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419966271578.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419966271578.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 5
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419966297071.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419966297071.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 5
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419966328426.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419966328426.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 5
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419966363928.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419966363928.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 5
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419966440608.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419966440608.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 5
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419966475778.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419966475778.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Mandoscottie

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
Very nice jumpy bar 1 thing mate. Get that heater hidden ;) i would suggest horizontal behind your hardscape in the center Its totally ok to have it horizontal bud.
Anubias plants are African/asian but your not going true bio.

If you were you need to look for various echindorus, viallis and candiboba gigantus. Dont know how easy those are to find for you thou mate.

Last edited:
Reactions: JumpMaster

JumpMaster

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 17, 2012
Holon, Israel
Very nice jumpy bar 1 thing mate. Get that heater hidden ;) i would suggest horizontal behind your hardscape in the center Its totally ok to have it horizontal bud.
Anubias plants are African/asian but your not going true bio.

If you were you need to look for various echindorus, viallis and candiboba gigantus. Dont know how easy those are to find for you thou mate.

I will move the heater.

Regarding the plants, I will be trying some amazon sword plants. Up to now, Anubias are the only things that survive :eek:

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland

I will move the heater.

Regarding the plants, I will be trying some amazon sword plants. Up to now, Anubias are the only things that survive :eek:

the setup of the tanks very impressive mate, with some amazon swords in there to enclose itll look a million bucks:) I do love your wood structure, once the moss takes hold in the light cycle.
bearing in mind its water column feeder hence easy carbo n plant food in water added weekly/daily if you really wish ;) is speed sup growing a touch, if an amazon sword is doing well its almost a new leaf sprouting every day if you get it right, I used to add a dose when I got up, add easy carbo/flourish, spray vivarium, scratch balls, yawn and go make a brew :p

Mosses are a lot slower but given a few weeks itll be how you want it, keep trimming it, I personally keep attaching it further along in a thin mat as it grows, instead of going at it with scissors unless its really wild.

if you have T8 lights run them 10 hours a day with reflectors, t5s run 8 hours a day
I stick mine on plugin analogue timers so its the same pattern every day (and id forget tbh :p) add liquid carbo dose daily, in water if possible 30mins before lights on.

I replace my t8s every 12months, my T5s every 18 they are pretty cheap, usually combo of grolux and grocolour. Ive had leaves from my motherplants a good 3/4 feet long just leaf....that's t5s reflectors and seachem root tabs pricy but bloody good.
T5s I've had success with most strains of them from the carpeting tennalus to the amazonicus ones. You just need a bit longer on t8s because they are less effective.

Also put root tabs beneath each plant, and youll have motherplant amazons swords flowering in no time mate, they are heavy root feeders, that's the secret to them. if you can fit reflectors also, this gives them more light. the waste from the livestock braely feed them easy to grow species, it helps but not much, pretty much all echids (amazons) are easy to grow with the above combination of lighting cycle, reflectors, tab and daily/weekly feeding regime.

Last edited:

JumpMaster

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 17, 2012
Holon, Israel
I have simple t8 lighting - no reflectors. I am not really worried about plants enough to start adding reflectors or dosing the water. What grows as is will make me happy

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
then at least add root tabs underneath each plant bud, any will help them and the light cycle. the cheap plugin timers are ideal. your discus and angels will appreciate when breeding time comes along, they make good territorial boundries for peace zones, both can get stroppy, mine even has a go at the female after every spawn, hed rip her to shreds if I didn't move her to 45L tank each time, its a pain in arse. the more chilled they feel the more the discus will happily inhabit the front of the tank, same with the angels they're pretty intelligent fish tbh, my males a right character, getting big too.

Can you get Tetra fish food products over there? If so look for Tetra Prima Granules (bright red) now called Tetra Discus I think, that'll colour your stock up immensely, the rams also, they're looking cool :) I used to alternate that with Tetra Colour Pro Wafers, frozen live food twice a week, itll bring out the iridescence of the discus colours just lovely.

That's the big tank aint it? Those discus should grow into impressive sizes in a BIG tank :D Its screaming out for a decent sized catfish if its BIG BIG.

Last edited:
Reactions: JumpMaster

JumpMaster

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 17, 2012
Holon, Israel
My lights are on a timer - 8 hours, I could extend that to 10 hours
then at least add root tabs underneath each plant bud, any will help them and the light cycle. the cheap plugin timers are ideal. your discus and angels will appreciate when breeding time comes along, they make good territorial boundries for peace zones, both can get stroppy, mine even has a go at the female after every spawn, hed rip her to shreds if I didn't move her to 45L tank each time, its a pain in arse. the more chilled they feel the more the discus will happily inhabit the front of the tank, same with the angels they're pretty intelligent fish tbh, my males a right character, getting big too.

Can you get Tetra fish food products over there? If so look for Tetra Prima Granules (bright red) now called Tetra Discus I think, that'll colour your stock up immensely, the rams also, they're looking cool :) I used to alternate that with Tetra Colour Pro Wafers, frozen live food twice a week, itll bring out the iridescence of the discus colours just lovely.

That's the big tank aint it? Those discus should grow into impressive sizes in a BIG tank :D Its screaming out for a decent sized catfish if its BIG BIG.
Here is the stock list for the 2 meter tank (*** indicates not complete)
15 Discus
6 Pterophyllum scalare (Peruvian Scalare)
40 Rummy-Nose Tetra (Hemigrammus rhodostomus) ***
25 Black Phantom Tetra
4 Laetacara Curviceps
Apistogramma macmasteri ***
3 apistogramma cacatuoides
3 apistogramma borellii
5 apistogramma steel blue
2 Peckoltia Bachi
3 Peckoltia Brevis
3 L-340
5 L-144
4 Albino BN
15 Corydoras Sterbai
15 Corydoras Aeneus Corydoras ***
15 Otocinclus ***

Reactions: Mandoscottie

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
That's crappy news!

Did you notice some or all of them sucking at the surface?

I see this occasionally if I either change too much water, or the filter return isn't agitating the water surface enough. It is usually, but not exclusively, due to poor oxygen levels. As most Cichlid tanks don't have plants, cos they eat them, the only source of oxygen is from surface agitation.

Like I said I didn't do anything different to my normal routine, I did add more air when I had the problem to see if that helped.

Maidenhead are happy to order in species for customers, just with nuggets make sure they are well rounded before buying as they are all imports.

Not doing anything new with my tank until after I moved in a couple of months time.

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
changed my T8s today on the angel tank, also treated myself to reflectors and a pim pictus catfish :)

the 180 is being dismantled this weekend and moved to across the living room and started again from scratch.

full28187151_b.jpg

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
Very lovely fish! !!
yar, when i get the 180 moved this weekend and set up again that and the angel pair are going down there :) Tried to get apicture of my own pictus but it was having none of it, angels wernt amused either, the male squared up to me :p
20150129_222426.jpg male.jpg

my mums tank 18 months on and now fitted with a led tile, the moss has gone haywire under LED>
20150124_181954.jpg
20150124_182230.jpg
20150124_182238.jpg

Last edited:

JumpMaster

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 17, 2012
Holon, Israel
Well, I sent the last of my fish off to a good home :( On saturday, the last tank will be removed from the man-cave :( not a happy camper

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
Scalwd back the tanks in preparation of moving glow lights n red eye tetras ustairs, allowing the big tank make over to begin.

Half the angel tank cleaned n 50% water change, another 50 on wed.
PSX_20150322_213636.jpg PSX_20150322_213542.jpg
My male angel is now 6"+ tip to tip, long front mandrils also as long as his tail whisps

Last edited:

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
hes a nutter, squares up to me every time I walk up to the tank, doesn't do it with Lynsey though, Angelfish are so intelligent, they reckon they are one species that can evaluate numbers so it knows what shoal is the bigger shoal, and sticks with it, ive given up with multiples down to one pair, mine are a touch mental tbh and pictus cat stays out of their way, doubt he will when he gets bigger.

Last edited: