hi lag amount

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

waffey73

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jan 15, 2015
Norfolk
since we have been using 60hertz servr i have experienced a lot of lag on Bf4 but it has been playable.
Tonight however it was really bad, i done a reboot on the game and a repair but eventually i had to come off as i could not play it without stopping and starting.
My question is, it my set up or is the server being a bloody nuisance again?

I don't often complain but for me it spoils the game so i thought i would ask.:( :)

OldMachine

New User
Jan 26, 2016
Hi waffey 60hz is great for me as i have never lagged and yet some people are finding 60hz to be laggy what i have noticed is there are more problems on 64 player servers on 60hz.Maybe more bandwidth and good top end hardware is need to run these 60hz servers just my thought thanks

Ryan

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jun 23, 2015
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
If you can follow these steps - it may help me diagnose the issue.

Please can you advise me the following information:

What CPU are you using (make/model/Ghz/How old is it)
What RAM are you using (Speed Only and Total Size/How old is it)
What Graphics Card are you using (How old is it/model/make)
What Graphic settings are you on ? (Ultra/High/Med/Low/Custom + Resolution)
What is your Resolution Scale on (In graphic options)

Step 1:
Run nothing in the background (except teamspeak/internet browser) and load this server and join:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf...de/3-5-SCAN-co-uk-Top-Conquest-Maps-No-Rules/

Step 2:
Spawn in the game and do not move - Open console and type "networkperfoverlay.drawgraph 1" and "perfoverlay.drawgraph 1" (these should not overlap)

Step 3:
After 30 seconds of standing still take a print screen/screenshot and save it to your computer.

Step 4:
Take a gun and note the size of the magazine (Make it a fully auto gun with 32 bullets or less) - Dont aim down the sight and empty the clip. - You should see little blue boxes appear on the Network graph - take a screenshot and save it again - its vital you do it before all the boxes disappear.

Step 5:
Run around for a bit and take a screenshot just after you stop running about.

Step 6:
Join the TOGA server and repeat steps 2 - 5

Step 7:
Post up your results with the images so I/we can see if there is a client side issue or server side issue.

The 60Hz should not affect lower performance players - as the server should detect your "Client side report" and accommodate it but this is what we are trying to find out.

For an example - my network overlay looks like this on the server 95% of the time (depends if its busy on the server)
22bda564d8.png

Last edited:

waffey73

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jan 15, 2015
Norfolk
i7 920@ 2.67GHz ....3 years old
16gb.....18 months old
Nitro Radeon R9 380 X..........3 months old
setting are mostly low with 2 on ultra this is so i can see figures better, Ultra 's are Effects and Mesh
resolution for the screen is 1920 x 1080.

waffey73

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jan 15, 2015
Norfolk
Consul commands are not recognized unless i have done it wrong.
Tried 3 times and it does not recognize. :)

Speedbird02

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Sep 1, 2015
Hertfordshire
Interesting post. A mate of mine who goes by the name of 5cie on BF4 has pretty much the same specs as Waffey apart from his CPU is the first gen of i5 which is a dual-core (never knew those existed) but on most 60hz servers he gets minor stutters with the amber refresh warning signs popping up especially during explosions or when a levelution event occurs during a match.

OldMachine

New User
Jan 26, 2016
I can see the problem is the cpu i7 920@ 2.67GHz first released in 2008 i would say its out dated dont forget its 60hz servers we are playing on now.i bet you if you did an upgrade to the newer i7 even the i7 3770k you will see a big diffrence thats my opinion.Also if you did go for an upgrade you will need cpu motherboard memory and i would go one extra and get an ssd hard drive if you have not got one already try to overclock your cpu with a good cooler before you think of an upgrade.

Last edited:

Ryan

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jun 23, 2015
I can see the problem is the cpu i7 920@ 2.67GHz first released in 2008 i would say its out dated dont forget its 60hz servers we are playing on now.i bet you if you did an upgrade to the newer i7 even the i7 3770k you will see a big diffrence thats my opinion.Also if you did go for an upgrade you will need cpu motherboard memory and i would go one extra and get an ssd hard drive if you have not got one already try to overclock your cpu with a good cooler before you think of an upgrade.
Although he would benefit from a upgrade of the CPU you are missing the point that he has issues on 60hz only. This is network side and there for the CPU does not have much intervention.

The cpu will be causing a slight bottleneck with that GPU but again the issue is being missed with having intense lag with the 60hz server.

But again i require those screenshots to see.

waffey73

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jan 15, 2015
Norfolk
Sorry ryan still cannot get the the consul commands to be recognized, i must be really thick i have tried so many times.
Also i do not know how to do a Print screen shot as i have never used it.
I have played on other 60htz servers and have not had the same trouble i also tried a 120htz but i got a lot of stuttering on that but it was just about playable.
As for upgrades i do not have the funds available for any so i will have to stick with what i have.
I am hopefully getting a SSD drive at some point this year.
I played on our server on Sunday and i got virtually no lag at all, so i just don't know. :(:)

Ryan

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jun 23, 2015
Sorry ryan still cannot get the the consul commands to be recognized, i must be really thick i have tried so many times.
Also i do not know how to do a Print screen shot as i have never used it.
I have played on other 60htz servers and have not had the same trouble i also tried a 120htz but i got a lot of stuttering on that but it was just about playable.
As for upgrades i do not have the funds available for any so i will have to stick with what i have.
I am hopefully getting a SSD drive at some point this year.
I played on our server on Sunday and i got virtually no lag at all, so i just don't know. :(:)

You may have something running in the background which is causing the issue but its hard to understand whats going on in your system - Personally i have no issues with the server.

This is the graphs and how you would see them after typing the commands in.

Personally if your having performance/bottleneck issues i would go for a CPU upgrade first of all - you can pickup a decent mobo and cpu for a decent price.

Here is a video i took today before going to the gym - sorry i was just on to get this info and was listening to music at the time :

Please be aware - the song does contain swearing etc so might want to keep it down low if kids are in the room or family :)

Also its a cheeky wee kill streak.

The video shows you what the graphs should look like on normal game play (and recording at the sametime)

If your getting huge spikes on either then you have an issue :)

OldMachine

New User
Jan 26, 2016
Thank you Ryan now you are talking i did mention a CPU motherboard SSD hard drive upgrade in the post above and im sticking to my guns on this one :)
if Waffey does go for an upgrade all his problems will be solved.

While the GPU does a lot of work, your CPU does the rest of it. Some games may be CPU bound, which means that their performance is generally restricted by your CPU. If your CPU is generally running at 100% while playing a game and games seem to be slow, even at different graphical settings, you may want to upgrade your CPU.

The speed and capacity of your hard drive are important. A higher capacity hard drive allows you to have more games installed, while the speed of your hard drive determines loading times. When you first load a game – or load new assets in a game, such as a map the loading time will depend on your hard drive’s speed. Up grading to a Solid State Drive can speed things up dramatically.

RAM is the memory that holds game files once they’re loaded from your hard drive. If you don’t have enough RAM, the game will constantly be reading data from your hard drive. More RAM will ensure that, once game files are loaded from your hard drive, they’ll remain cached and will load much more quickly next time they’re needed. Having a good amount of RAM also ensures that you can return to your desktop without waiting, as the desktop applications will remain present in your RAM if you have enough. You can check your total RAM usage in your task manager – if it’s at 100% while playing a game, you probably need to install more RAM 8 Gig RAM is fine for most games i would go for 16 Gig and higher

BATTLEFIELD 4 FACTS

The most CPU intensive setting is how many players there are on the server.
Also Post processing quality + Mesh quality is heavy on CPU
Frostbite relies heavily on the CPU and GPU.
Thats why it is important to have good quality hardware in computers today.
I could go on and on about this topic all day i think i have covered the important bits here
i really hope this is useful to someone many thanks for taking time to read this article.

Ryan

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jun 23, 2015
Again your ignoring what waffey says - its fine in other servers and only has the problem with the toga server.

He would benefit from a faster cpu but this is ignoring his problem.

Thats like taking your car to the garage to tell them the wipers dont work and you need to drive slow to see and then saying he needs a new engine to resolve his issues.

Cant be throwing guesses and need proper diagnostics.

Reactions: Speedbird02

Ryan

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jun 23, 2015
The problem that makes this more interesting as he is saying its on one server only.

Now although his cpu will be causing a bottleneck it doesnt mean it will resolve the single server issue.

Although waffey i would reccomend not getting an ssd and get a new processor/motherboard as the ssd will not cause all that much of a benefit with the bottleneck you have

OldMachine

New User
Jan 26, 2016
With due respect to you Ryan im not saying that you are wrong and i am right please dont take it that way its only an opinion.Waffey needs to test different 60hz servers when empty and when full then do the same with TOGA server.just guessing when Waffey is on TOGA server when it is empty he has no problem may be wrong or right i dont know he needs to test this him self and let us know or he could be having problems when servers are full or almost full regards OldMachine.You could call up to musselburgh sometimes Ryan will be nice to talk to you :) im in my shop at 5.30 am onwards

Reactions: Ryan

OldMachine

New User
Jan 26, 2016
Ryan
The problem that makes this more interesting as he is saying its on one server only.
Ryan this is a very strange problem very unusual