new Porsche :)

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

SUPASTARR

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jul 5, 2010
Krypton
Detroit 2011: Porsche 918 RSR

Porsche's star turn at the Detroit Auto Show is the sensational new 918 RSR, a stunning race machine that looks into the future.
Although it takes its name from the 918 Spyder - the ultra green supercar unveiled during Geneva 2010 - this is a very different beast. Designed wholly for speed on the track, the 918 RSR does not have a conventional petrol-electric hybrid system like the Spyder did, but a highly innovative 'flywheel accumulator'.
Instead of a passenger seat you'll notice there's an unusual cylindrical canister - that's the flywheel accumulator. Each of the 918's front wheels has an electric motor/generator, which can both drive the wheels for extra oomph or generate electricity during braking.
The energy they generate is captured and stored in the accumulator, which can spin to a dizzying 36,000rpm. The driver can press a button at any point and unleash this energy back to the motors for an instant hit of power - a kind of futuristic rocket boost, if you will.
porsc68.jpg

Not that it lacks power in the first place, though: a mid-mounted 3.4-litre V8 engine develops 555bhp at a superbike-like 10,300rpm. That added to the electric motors' combined 201bhp makes this a 756bhp racer.
Elsewhere the car is more conventional, if still quite spectacular, with the most obvious change from the 918 Spyder being the fixed roof.
Porsche says the 918 RSR is a test bed for the accumulator technology, though there's a chance we could see the car hit the Le Man 24-hour race in a year or two.
Here's hoping.

MILO

New User
Nov 5, 2010
Mobile, Alabama
porsche-918-spyder.jpg

Looks sweet but still prolly unreasonable in cost....I wish they would make something for normal people

Such as an affordable remake of
Porsche%20914%20red.jpg

I know some may say they're ugly but put a 6cyl in it and I promise you'll have a smile a mile wide.

sk1rge

New User
Oct 28, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
The 914 is awesome already with the original 100 hp engine, with a 911 engine it's just epic. Middle engine position for excellent handling, lightweight, manual 5-gear sport shift, open roof, what do you want more. The rims on the pic are a poor remake of the original Fuchs rims, and I like the green colour more than red.

Too bad they didn't have the anti-rust stuff they today do with all Porsches, the 914 crumble to dust when they just see water....