The Cake Thread

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

XharKhan

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 27, 2010
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
I like to bake...I like cakes of all varieties really and I find baking quite relaxing...thought I'd share some of my favourite cakes just in case you fancy a bake:

For when you have any black banana's knocking about the house...chuck em in this and you'll have a good banana loaf -
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1916658/banana-walnut-and-chocolate-chip-loaf

If you have a sweet tooth, I've recently discovered this Russian honey cake...it is truly epic but small portions are preferred -
http://yelenasweets.com/2013/06/17/russian-honey-cake-medovik/

Finally for now, an old favourite...when I was a lad at school they used to do a great sponge with jam and coconut sprinkled on top...splodge of custard and its ansum -
http://www.cookingcakesandchildren.com/2012/03/jammy-coconut-sponge-squares/

Bake on guys, if you fancy a cake related conversation then please let me know :)

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
I like to bake...I like cakes of all varieties really and I find baking quite relaxing...thought I'd share some of my favourite cakes just in case you fancy a bake:

For when you have any black banana's knocking about the house...chuck em in this and you'll have a good banana loaf -
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1916658/banana-walnut-and-chocolate-chip-loaf

If you have a sweet tooth, I've recently discovered this Russian honey cake...it is truly epic but small portions are preferred -
http://yelenasweets.com/2013/06/17/russian-honey-cake-medovik/

Finally for now, an old favourite...when I was a lad at school they used to do a great sponge with jam and coconut sprinkled on top...splodge of custard and its ansum -
http://www.cookingcakesandchildren.com/2012/03/jammy-coconut-sponge-squares/

Bake on guys, if you fancy a cake related conversation then please let me know :)

I heard you were the TOGa master Baker khannie :p

westonwarrior

Clan Leader
Staff member
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jul 11, 2010
Weston-super-Mare
I saw an idea for a crumble cake and I am going to try and make one
Now I am a good cook even if I do say so myself but not good a recipes so I tend to make it up as I go along.
so the theory is a fruit bottom in this case apples and blackcurrant probably or just apple sponge mix on top and a top layer of crumble

I will probably cook the crumble0 with ground almond or oats depending whats about and cook it on a baking tray first pour the sponge mix over the fruit so it becomes part of the cake and put the cook crumble on top before baking.

I also made some cinnamon bread Friday and that takes some beating.

NePa5

New User
Jul 5, 2010
Leeds, UK
This thread should revive, when I get home I'll get some links to my current crop of cakes.

And yes Mando, I am the master baker, it was icing, lemon in fact

So why do we not see your baking skills in your FB posts?(the BBQ stuff and others is bloody awesome though),I am not stalking honest............I just need idea's.

XharKhan

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 27, 2010
So why do we not see your baking skills in your FB posts?(the BBQ stuff and others is bloody awesome though),I am not stalking honest............I just need idea's.

Ahh, so you liked the double baked potato skins right ;) will get on this today, was busy yesterday with finishing off breaking bad and kids last week at school coupled with short notice interview prep.

Reactions: NePa5 and Raneva

XharKhan

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 27, 2010
So...cakes -

I'm quite a fan of the chocolate guinness cake but I owe the original tasting to Mark & Laura (thanks guys), think this is a pretty decent approximation of their recipe. be aware this one can be (I think) quite heavy and can result in insta gout:
http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-guinness-cake-3086

On a slightly lighter note, the white choc and raspberry cake, its light enough to have knock about for a couple days but beware the fruit degrades quickly, best eaten quickly (in one evening with beer I find):
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/johns-white-chocolate-raspberry-cake

Your simple sponge cake, I find this one best with a lemon drizzle but I like lemon cake, you could have this with any kind of frosting or drizzle really:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hot-milk-cake

Lastly, prepare youselves this one is a doozey...toffee melted into a chocolate cake mix? So simple to prep this is one of the ones I do with the kids:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/toffee-poke-cake

Onto savories -

Chilli is one of my specials...everyone loves dads chilli night...I tend to leave the chilli cooking in a pot on a very low simmer (directions below) for about an hour, then rest the thing for at least 20 minutes with the lid on the pot when its finished cooking (I use that time to cook my rice etc) so the meat can really infuse by long cook time and loosen up nicely by resting well at the end:

Ingredients -
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 red pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1 heaped tsp hot chilli powder (or 1 level tbsp if you only have mild)
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 500g lean minced beef
  • 1 beef stock cube
  • 400g can chopped tomatoes
  • ½ tsp dried marjoram
  • 2 or 3 cubes of dark chocolate
  • 2 tbsp tomato purée
  • 410g can red kidney beans
  • plain boiled long grain rice (I actually prefer brown rice with quinoa), to serve
  • soured cream, to serve
  • 1 Bag cool original doritoes, to serve
  • Guacamole, to serve
Should look like this =
11046703_10154046853288047_2408704091847199915_n.jpg

Directions -
  1. Prepare your vegetables. Chop 1 large onion into small dice, about 5mm square. The easiest way to do this is to cut the onion in half from root to tip, peel it and slice each half into thick matchsticks lengthways, not quite cutting all the way to the root end so they are still held together. Slice across the matchsticks into neat dice. Cut 1 red pepper in half lengthways, remove stalk and wash the seeds away, then chop. Peel and finely chop 2 garlic cloves.
  2. Start cooking. Put your pan on the hob over a medium heat. Add the oil and leave it for 1-2 minutes until hot (a little longer for an electric hob). Add the onions and cook, stirring fairly frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft, squidgy and slightly translucent. Tip in the garlic, red pepper, 1 heaped tsp hot chilli powder or 1 level tbsp mild chilli powder, 1 tsp paprika and 1 tsp ground cumin. Give it a good stir, then leave it to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Brown the 500g lean minced beef. Turn the heat up a bit, add the meat to the pan and break it up with your spoon or spatula. The mix should sizzle a bit when you add the mince. Keep stirring and prodding for at least 5 minutes, until all the mince is in uniform, mince-sized lumps and there are no more pink bits. Make sure you keep the heat hot enough for the meat to fry and become brown, rather than just stew.
  4. Making the sauce. Crumble 2 beef stock cubes (i prefer the knorr beef stock pots, they give a better taste) into 300ml hot water. Pour this into the pan with the mince mixture. Open 1 can of chopped tomatoes (400g can) and add these as well. Tip in ½ tsp dried marjoram and 1 tsp sugar, if using (see tip at the bottom), and add a good shake of salt and pepper. Squirt inabout 2 tbsp tomato purée and stir the sauce well.
  5. Simmer it gently. Bring the whole thing to the boil, give it a good stir and put a lid on the pan. Turn down the heat until it is gently bubbling and leave it for about an hour. You should check on the pan occasionally to stir it and make sure the sauce doesn’t catch on the bottom of the pan or isn’t drying out. If it is, add a couple of tablespoons of water and make sure that the heat really is low enough. After simmering gently, the saucy mince mixture should look thick, moist and juicy.
  6. Bring on the beans. Drain and rinse 1 can of red kidney beans (410g can) in a sieve and stir them into the chilli pot. Bring to the boil again, and gently bubble without the lid for another 10 minutes, adding a little more water if it looks too dry. Taste a bit of the chilli and season. It will probably take a lot more seasoning than you think. Now replace the lid, turn off the heat and leave your chilli to stand for 20 minutes before serving, and relax. Leaving your chilli to stand is really important as it allows the flavours to mingle and the meat to really tenderise properly (you can use pretty low quality meat for this (Value/frozen etc) as the cooking time and resting makes it taste like very expensive stuff)
  7. Serve with soured cream and plain boiled brown rice with quinoa, crumble some crisps over the top of the chilli, then stack the cream on top.
Thusly, thread resurrected...

Reactions: Raneva and NePa5

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
Quick Fix Syrup Sponge puddings.....
5 minutes if you have a good whisking action ;) If you have US style cup measurements it's even easier:

50g (1cup) caster sugar
50g (1cup) Self Raising flour
50g (1 cup) butter or margarine
1 egg

Cream sugar and butter, gradually add egg mixing in, fold in the flour

Pour some golden syrup (or jam if you prefer) in to microwaveable ramekins, pour on the cake mixture, nuke it for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.. don't overfill the ramekins or it will get messy!

Turn out and Serve with custard or cream or ice cream!!

Not quite it's sophisticated distant steamed cousin but damn good for a sugar fix!