TS and Discord for all please read

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

Saddlesore

New User
Jul 22, 2011
Hertfordshire
If we are all mature adults as we keep saying then why cant we just tune out when swearing and off topics come along?
I swear sometimes although the C word is saved for very special occasions for maximum impact...for my horrible neighbours for instance!
We are all different,have different lifestyles and have been brought up in different parts of the country/world where such language and topics are common.
Whilst I like to think we all do our best to be friends and have fun and not offend Im sure this does on occasion happen.
Khanny and I have two children and we both wear headsets due to the nature of ts.....shouting/swearing/topics are more often than not age appropraite for a child but we I take part because Im a member and I want to listen/talk to my friends I play with.
There will always be people/things in life we dont like or agree with but we cant change people nor why would we want to.
Lets try and manage the strong stuff and consider people more but Im afraid bad language is never going to go away.
People being racist,sexist or just plain nasty is what we dont want to see around here....lets not try and change peoples personalities...the very thing which makes us enjoy them in the first place :)

JumpMaster

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 17, 2012
Holon, Israel
One thing that must be pointed out is that more than once I have heard people asking if others were wearing headsets before they let loose, so for the most part I do see people giving thought to this

Reactions: Vendecca

Bl@ckthorn

Head Admin
Staff member
Recruitment
Tactician
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Oct 27, 2010
Bury England
swearing is a part of life as is other bad habbits some people are ofended some think its normal, but if it is directed at someone then that is another matter and then should be delt with as we do on the server

Kritkeen

New User
Oct 21, 2010
Youngstown, OH, USA
As for where I come from swearing is part of our language, and it is accepted as long as its used to steam off and relax. Only instances its not tolerated are when you are with your business colleagues, your elders and/or with ladies.
Im sure there are similar tendencies in all cultures and swearing is an essential and innovative part of all languages, otherwise we wouldnt have swearing in all languages known to humans (I exclude Supa's language, research is still going on regarding which planet he comes from).

As for children, I understand people feel uncomfortable when there is swearing that they can hear. Headphones are a good option to prevent that since even if we try to control ourselves when gaming, Im sure there will still be a lot of swearing in the heat of gaming. Because its natural for our languages. On a side note, Children will learn swearing from their friends and environment much sooner and faster than you think even if you try to censure your own language.

But I still agree that we should try to control ourselves as much as possible especially when there are people on TS who are not comfortable with such use of language. Hell I can even switch to Turkish for swearing so that no one takes offence :D (Free lessons for anyone interested :D)

Queen_Shinigami

Reg User
Jun 30, 2012
Northern Ireland
We are all different,have different lifestyles and have been brought up in different parts of the country/world where such language and topics are common.

Sorry, tried not to comment on this as although it is in public I did not know if I should post or not. But we are all from different parts of the country and world in some cases as has been stated above. And there are different levels of acceptable. I am one of them who finds every word acceptable :confused: I dont know about scotland but in Northern Ireland, you go anywhere and say the 'c' word, its the same level as any other word regardless of gender.

Although i do understand that people have children and that is why there is a curfew, but after this I do not see a need for watching language as much. I have been in many clans and ive been gaming since I was 13 on pc and they all used similar lanugage to me so I have always found it acceptable on teamspeak.

I dont think that people understand that if you have been brought up in a place where every word is acceptable, how difficult it is to as you call it 'tone' down the language when you here it everywhere, not just at work, but at home, at college, in public area's you know what I mean I hope. Having to watch everything you say is stressful at times when ingame. Everyone has different needs and that needs to be understood.

If people like me can understand that people have children around and that there is a curfew, then why can the rest not understand how difficult it is and just allow it after? As mature adults (regardless of the 'words' used) we should be able to both understand the needs of everyone. I dont think people should have to constantly watch theirselfs on teamspeak, for most people the game is there way to relax and take stress out, after all it is a game, why should that be taken away from them guys.

Anyways Just chucking in an opinion from my side and background I guess.

Crotador

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 20, 2012
erm... didnt read the whole thread so somebody may have mentioned this already but:

Those that have kids and are concerned about swearing and playing BF3 surely have a headset already, I mean the in-game language is as bad as a lot of what is said on TS.

IMHO Swearing to vent in my book is OK with reasonable limitations. Swearing to abuse somebody is not. swearing all the time is... well just pointless, what do you say when you really want to vent?

FatPig

New User
Apr 10, 2012
Derbyshire
I swear, more often than not when I`m annoyed but I swear none the less. I don`t swear in the company of strangers however, as I give them the same respect that I wish to receive back. Amongst some friends, the language level can lower, amongst others, it stays higher.
My language reflects the setting and this is what I believe everyone should do....as others have said already, it`s simply about respect.

On TS, you`re not at work, you`re not in the pub or on the street on the rough estate...you`re in someone else`s home and as it`s a public TS, you`re also inviting other people into your home.

Wonkey20

New User
Apr 7, 2012
Sorry guys, I'm pretty bad at the whole swearing thing. I noticed I was doing it a lot the other night while playing with UKSlogger. I will try and be more aware of what is coming out of my mouth. If at any time it happens, keep in mind I dont mean to and than let me know of my ways so I can work on fixing it.

Again, Sorry.

-Mike

warlock359

New User
May 14, 2012
portsmouth uk
Sorry guys, I'm pretty bad at the whole swearing thing. I noticed I was doing it a lot the other night while playing with UKSlogger. I will try and be more aware of what is coming out of my mouth. If at any time it happens, keep in mind I dont mean to and than let me know of my ways so I can work on fixing it.

Again, Sorry.

-Mike
duck tape normally works lol

Gypsy

New User
Aug 17, 2011
Chletenham Glos
My view on this may be a bit contorversatal but if were are playing 16 + age games it's a bit silly to get overly worried about swearing, shit you blowing people up killing and dismembering , now that said sexualy or rasical offence stuff is different.

Swearing directed in a personel way at someone, thats a form of bulllying and that a no - no BIG time

as for children hearing my first comment would be what is anyone doing lettting little children near a game that glorifies death and killing which most FPS do, whether they can hear the lagngue or not they should be seeing images like that anyway, as a parent myself although my boys now grown up when he was younger we edited what he was allowed to see until he was old enought to understand.

Reactions: bricktopz

Stun

New User
Jun 25, 2012
Brighton
as for children hearing my first comment would be what is anyone doing lettting little children near a game that glorifies death and killing which most FPS do, whether they can hear the lagngue or not they should be seeing images like that anyway, as a parent myself although my boys now grown up when he was younger we edited what he was allowed to see until he was old enought to understand.

Depends on how you look at it, you can shield them as much as you want if they want to see it they will, personally id rather educate them to understand the rights from wrongs be it language or images. I take my lad to see Brighton play and the language is appaliing sometimes, what can I do say he cant go anymore ? , ive heard the language in the playground thats as blue as ive heard in any rough pub but all I can do is educate him that its not right and proper for him to use . As for images , just turn on some of these documentries on cable at 5 pm , now these are very graphic and they are very real. My son is interested in the Second World war in fact they have it as their term project so these programnes are of interst but ive taken time out to educate him what the hoorors of war are. Regarding BF3 he looks upon it no more than a competition of skill and reactions, the full understanding of how evil and terrible war is he fully understands as I go out of my way to educate him on it. When I was 15 I visited Aushwitz ( I was on an Athletics tour) now some might say I was far too young but it changed my ife forever, I sat and watched a documentary about it with my 20 yr old daughter who said she hadnt had any and I mean ANY education on the holocaust and I could see she was visibly shalken watching it, now I understand why I see so many disgusting anti jewish remarks on forums and ingame because its plainly obvious these idiots havent been educated.

Blimey im ranting ha ha, sorry

Everyone is different and we all want whats best for our children , people compliment me all the time at how ell behaved and well mannered my kids are so for me I feel educated my child what's right from wrong at an early age is best for me rather than shielding him and finding him taking an unhealthy view in his late teenage life.

As for the swearing on coms , well its a common sense approach isnt it ? , we all curse now and again but if you need to have it in every other sentence somethings a bit wrong imo

Redh3lix

New User
Feb 18, 2012
Bicester, Oxfordshire
Well I think.... well.....

Bewbs..!!

lol no seriously. A LOT of it is common sense. For example, somebody thought my signature a supository... it's clearly a bullet....

erm

welll. F**k me, good thing I'm not on coms!!!!111

Drungly

New User
Aug 19, 2012
I'll see if I can tone my language down a bit. I occasionally use the word "shit" when I've accidentally crashed the jet or heli into a tree/mountain again. The problem is that this is an automatic response when such a thing happens, but I'll do my best to refrain from it.