Why the strict rule on not using Voice activation in TS?

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

K-Kerosin

New User
Jan 11, 2010
Germany
i haven´t read the whole thread! but you really have to buy a headset and have to find a PtT button!

This evening when you were online and was talking, i only heard a loud bass and some voice and nothing from game sound! even if you did not speak.

after a few minutes i was so "pissed off" that i shot down TS!
<
(sry for that)
<

Bodhi

Reg User
Mar 20, 2010
Sweden
www.evangelyn.com
i haven´t read the whole thread! but you really have to buy a headset and have to find a PtT button!

This evening when you were online and was talking, i only heard a loud bass and some voice and nothing from game sound! even if you did not speak.

after a few minutes i was so "pissed off" that i shot down TS!
<
(sry for that)
<

Chill please... I am using a headset and I am using Push-to-talk, like I have been doing all along. I don't even have game audio in speakers anymore, only in the headset. Everyone else seems to hear me fine and I've asked many times if my audio is ok. Why didn't you mention this on TS instead of going on a rant here? I could have turned off my microphone, or been able to test if only your system was affected.

Edit: I've just done some testing, and apparently there is a minor grounding problem with my headset that was not there before, causing a slight low hum just below 60 Hz. If you are using a subwoofer or any enhanced bass system, this might have boosted that frequency. On my system that has no sub, it's audible, but not even close to the levels you are describing.

Oh well, apparently nothing but problems with TS. Since I'm an audio engineer, this is most ironic....
<

I'll do some tests with grounding tomorrow to see if I can get rid of the hum, or I'll hook up some of my recording gear to use instead.

K-Kerosin

New User
Jan 11, 2010
Germany
Sry, I didn´t know. and I don´t want to complain here. I could hardly understand anything in Ts as the bass is predominant and it was unbearable.

I hope it runs better at next time?

Bodhi

Reg User
Mar 20, 2010
Sweden
www.evangelyn.com
Sry, I didn´t know. and I don´t want to complain here. I could hardly understand anything in Ts as the bass is predominant and it was unbearable.

I hope it runs better at next time?

No worries,
<
I'm just thinking that it might have been something else contributing, since I had long conversations with both Panzer and Jayjay who seemed to hear me fine, and the hum I'm getting from the microphone is very low level here. Do you use a sub woofer or any other bass enhancement on your audio system?

I'm going to run some tests today and won't use this headset on TS again until I've fixed the problem.

Cheers

Bodhi

Reg User
Mar 20, 2010
Sweden
www.evangelyn.com
i have the Logitech G35. (7.1 with subwoofer)

You mean with an added subwoofer or the emulated 7.1 in the headphones? In any case, although I haven't tried the G35, but to emulate a 7.1 system in a 2.0 system (which a pair of headphones always is), they would have to phase displace the channels to make them appear as if located in a three-dimensional space, as well as boost certain low frequencies to get the appearance of a subwoofer. The latter could definitely be boosting a low frequent hum, that would not be audible (or barely) to anyone not using a subwoofer. Thanks, now I know how to fix it
<

Bodhi

Reg User
Mar 20, 2010
Sweden
www.evangelyn.com
I've fixed the microphone now so there should be no more hum (actually I had to ground the whole computer to get rid of it). Please let me know if there's any more hum from my mic
<

Cheers