BF2042 Impressions?

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
So most of us have had a few days to play the game and I wondered what peoples impressions were of it?

For myself I've actually barely had a chance to play these past few days due to my father in law passing away recently and my wanting to spend more time with my wife - doesnt feel right gaming while she sits alone y'know? I think I had a good two or three hours at the weekend though while she was at her mums. Not tried Hazard or Portal yet though.

Im a bit disappointed there arent any Metro type mostly underground maps. Those close quarters type maps were good.
I'm also missing the small maps. I know we can search for a smaller map in Portal but thats not really vanilla gaming as it would be if Dice had created it as a base map type.
Not sure Im keen on the game selecting the Conquest map all by itself. I like the ability to choose we've had in previous games. As it is, Ive still got a few maps Ive not played yet.
Cut scenes are too long before joining the map. We should have a "skip" button because in a years time it'll become tiring.

Not mentioning all of the issues people are commenting about as Im very hopeful that they'll get fixed at some point.
Overall despite the above small naff bits Im impressed and pleased with the game

Reactions: westonwarrior

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
Sorry to hear about your father in law, Binary. Maybe later there'll be more suitable time for gaming.

I agree with every comment Binary made. Especially the lack of small maps is a huge but not a surprising disappointment, I'd like to see some maps about 30 % of the current size. It seems that the game is targeted only for consoles with the match making and without the possibility to choose from the server/map list. sigh.

Battle of the Bulge is quite ok, El Alamein is mostly an empty desert even if a server is full lol. I tried BFBC2 and BF3 maps, but at that time they were not well populated. Maybe later.

Won't be easy to like the game, but I sure do try.

Last edited:

Clown

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Dec 14, 2015
Wales
I've been playing COD mostly and the maps on BF are slightly overwhelming compared to Nuke Town (two houses and a couple of busses). I think BF may be a game for the weekends for me rather than nightly.

westonwarrior

Clan Leader
Staff member
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jul 11, 2010
Weston-super-Mare
Sorry to hear about your father in law, I am in a similar situation having just lost my Mother in law.

I agree totally with your game comments and I find the game laggy and the graphics poor I hate the matchmaking and the inability to join with more than 4 players a large party that split into squads on joining would be a start.

Portal has potential but xp and weapon ranking is restricted due to "Farm servers". We were playing on our own small infantry only server which was full of randoms all evening but the Admin setup is stupid as only the host can admin, so you cant have multi admins.

With all that said as it stands I can see me getting frustrated with this game very soon and its not fully released yet so the lag will only get worse when it does.

My first opinion is "it sucks a big one" but I hope they learn and tweak it

• Sad
Reactions: Binary

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
And if they don't soon nerf the hovercrafts I'll uninstall and start playing Minecraft. That is all.

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
And if they don't soon nerf the hovercrafts I'll uninstall and start playing Minecraft. That is all.
They are a bit OP arent they. I mean one gun on the roof would be okay but to also have two side turrets too, plus the ability to go up the sides of skyscrapers to camp rooftops is a bit much. I'm in two minds whether or not Dice knew they could do the 'spiderman' thing and thought it would be an okay laugh. Its not really.

Reactions: McTavish

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
Having a few times when it minimises the game to desktop and Ive got to click to maximise it again. frustrating if you get shot in those few seconds.
Also had that scenario they mention when you die and you cant revive, go to the redeploy screen - just lay there writhing in agony until you exit the game.
The weapon attachment screen seems a bit flakey. In the middle of choosing a gun or attachment it'll seemingly randomly insert you into the game.
And I'm disappointed everyone is better than me. Clearly needs fixing good and proper!

ShadowFax75

Server Admin
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Feb 2, 2014
Despite all the obvious flaws I do have a lot of fun playing.
Hopefully weapon progression and player level progression will be turned on again soon on the portal games. Because I would love to play some tdm games with the 2042 weapons as well (and level them up)

Reactions: Zero

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
We also want to give you the assurance that we’re carefully evaluating your desire to see legacy features return. End-of-match Scoreboard, Server Browser, and features like Voice Chat are big topics for us to cover all at once, and we have plenty we want to say around them. We’ll come back to you when we have things that we can show to you, including details about our long-term vision for certain features and functions.

They call them legacy features...

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
A lot of that "long term vision" could well have done with happening some months ago. Some of the issues are things that are immediately apparent to any seasoned BF player. You wonder who they get to play test these things during the development stages.

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
Classic Rush is now on 2042 maps. Or at least only this evening I noticed it. Fun to play, fast and short games.

Reactions: Ninja_Freak

ShadowFax75

Server Admin
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Feb 2, 2014
The 3.1 update is pretty good.

Before this update, I wouldn't recommend buying the game.
Now it is getting closer to that, there are still issues with the game. The performance on my i7 8700k, 32gb ram and RTX 3080 is still not where I want it for example.
But knowing Dice was able to put 4 updates in a short amount of time, all of them were improvements. So I do feel positive about the future of this game.

Reactions: Zero and McTavish

Zero

Clan Founder
Staff member
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jan 5, 2010
Bucks, England
www.theoldgitsarmy.co.uk
If it were up to Dice, I expect they would just have delayed the release until spring next year, but if you have a publisher like EA, you are screwed about those kinds of decisions.

I have probably played less than 2 hours of the base game myself...spend most of my time in the portal editor!

I want to give Rush a go though as it's my favourite mode in Battlefield :cool:

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
I have probably played less than 2 hours of the base game myself...spend most of my time in the portal editor!
I want to give Rush a go though as it's my favourite mode in Battlefield :cool:
Rush rules! They don't grow weapon XP (at least in the vintage games) but my stats stink anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Reactions: Zero

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
So I can't believe or really understand why Im still playing this. Apart from being a bit crap I seem to be logging in almost every night - and Ive only played Conquest so far - and getting my arse kicked. I only really manage to play 2 or 3 rounds before Ive got to take the dogs out and usually manage to get up another level. Maybe thats whats dragging me back.

I mean I sit at my desk all day and really miss playing my Switch games, then I finish, have dinner while watching an episode of some series and by that time I dont want to play on the Switch, Im gung ho for some 2042 action.

I see theyre working on the new player scoreboard and it definitely looks good to me so thats a plus. I still get annoyed at all the necessary running around because the maps are big and the vehicles taken, or the fact that at the start of the match you have to spawn, all the vehicles are taken and you have to run useless minutes to the nearest points which are always already taken so again, whats the point of that. I get annoyed all the time by team mates nearby who dont rez me, snipers on top of cranes - actually just snipers in general because theyre all so damn accurate, the fact that I cant choose a server and usually end up on some French, German, Dutch, or whatever speaking server. Should I even dare hope that one day theyll bring back Metro?

Yet still I go back every night.

ShadowFax75

Server Admin
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Feb 2, 2014
So I can't believe or really understand why Im still playing this. Apart from being a bit crap I seem to be logging in almost every night - and Ive only played Conquest so far - and getting my arse kicked. I only really manage to play 2 or 3 rounds before Ive got to take the dogs out and usually manage to get up another level. Maybe thats whats dragging me back.

I mean I sit at my desk all day and really miss playing my Switch games, then I finish, have dinner while watching an episode of some series and by that time I dont want to play on the Switch, Im gung ho for some 2042 action.

I see theyre working on the new player scoreboard and it definitely looks good to me so thats a plus. I still get annoyed at all the necessary running around because the maps are big and the vehicles taken, or the fact that at the start of the match you have to spawn, all the vehicles are taken and you have to run useless minutes to the nearest points which are always already taken so again, whats the point of that. I get annoyed all the time by team mates nearby who dont rez me, snipers on top of cranes - actually just snipers in general because theyre all so damn accurate, the fact that I cant choose a server and usually end up on some French, German, Dutch, or whatever speaking server. Should I even dare hope that one day theyll bring back Metro?

Yet still I go back every night.
I see some of us play this game regularly while being in discord. Why not join them? Then you will get revived more often

Reactions: Binary

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
I see some of us play this game regularly while being in discord. Why not join them? Then you will get revived more often
This is true but Ive still not replaced my mic. I should have done it and I guess if we were all still playing BF4 Id have done it right away but these days I dont play COD and I think thats pretty much the only other game the clan play as a group so its never been a priority for me. You're bang on though, I'll have a look on amazon today.

Reactions: ShadowFax75