FTTP - Moving away from Virgin

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

Ninja_Freak

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jul 8, 2010
christchurch
Hi guys,

I've now got fiber on the street and looking at my options for moving away from Virgin Media altogether. For those of you that have made the move, what was the process like? What is the terminal connection inside the house?

Currently, I have VM coax that connects to the coax link just outside of the house. They split it there for the phone etc (I won't be having a landline after this move). The coax runs up the wall and across the loft to the modem which also links into the router that supplies all of the rooms in the house.

Can I expect them to enter through the same route and pull across the loft with the fiber from the street?

Looking at Sky Stream and Gigabit 900. Anyone using the new Sky Stream? Can you record shows etc?

Jackal-Scot

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Apr 12, 2015
Glasgow
iam with EE fttp which is the same as BT. EE have a just broadband with no phone line service as wee don't have that aswell. my fibre box was installed in my downstairs cupboard as there was an empty socket in there as it needs to be connected 24/7 as it is only a fibre modem its not meant to be switched of or rebooted.

Reactions: Ninja_Freak

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
Out of curiosity, whats the issue with virgin? We've currently got
  • HomeWorks M250 Fibre Broadband
  • Full House TV XL TV360 + Additional Box
  • Home Phone although we dont have a phone plugged in to use it
The TV listing is a bit naff compared to what Sky used to be, but its mostly only the wife who uses it.
Not fussed about the phone. It was part of the package. We just use mobiles when needed and they're on Smarty.
I thought that the Virgin Fibre broadband speed was pretty near the best we could get in the UK.

Virgin costs us £116.48/month (August 23) which is a lot but I think roughly the same as Sky?

Ninja_Freak

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jul 8, 2010
christchurch
I think you're paying a lot Binary.

I had 1gb (Max?), land line, TV package (no sports or movies) and I was paying £107. Also paying £11 quid for Netflix

I'm now paying 2.3gb fibre £50 + Sky Stream (again no sports / movies but + HD and skipping commercials) £35 including the same Netflix subscription.

Faster and cheaper..

Reactions: Binary

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
I'll have to look further in to this.
My Virgin M250 gives me 264Mbps download & 25Mbps upload. I pay for Netflix separately too.
Looking at the Sky site their fastest cable offer is Ultrafast at 145Mbps download so half the speed Ive currently got