TS3 and unique Id's

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

westonwarrior

Clan Leader
Staff member
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jul 11, 2010
Weston-super-Mare
After a suspected hacking of an account last night I thought I would try and clear up how ts3 works with your account info and how to tranfer it to a new installation etc.

First of all no account was hacked what happened was a person joined ts3 and maliciously copied a members name, that account is now banned and I have the time, ip address and isp of that person.

Ok so back to how ts3 works

Each account is matched to a unique identity yours can be viewed at Settings > Identities, this tells the server who you are and links all info like rank to your account.

Now the name you use is not protected by this so that is how you can login from another comp or instalation and use your name.
If the name is in use when you join the server just adds a 1 etc to the end of the name.

So with this in mind any other user can join with any name but will not have the rank and permissions of the correct user.

you can back up your unique id by using the export button (this is a good idea BTW)

You can then use the backed up id and import it into ts3 on any other machine you use (laptop, spare pc, phone ) or if you need to reinstall ts3 and you will allways log in as you, with the correct account credentials.

This is the reason if you reinstall you need you account setting up again by an admin if you don't export and import your id. no problem to do but users may prefer to not have to ask.

So to sum up

No account was hacked
We believe it was not against TOGA but someone who knows the player, so you need not worry about your accounts too much.
Your unique id is what defines you not the name
All persons that join ts are logged with the ip address and time of joining the server, so we can match accounts.

I hope this clears up a couple of questions that come up about ts3 and puts anyone concerned about last night at ease

West

Vendecca

Banned
Mar 3, 2012
Southport.UK
Ta West,
That explains the 1 thing that I see at the end of a name.
Let me know please if anything unusual happens to my accounts please bud ;)

Sparky1984

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
This dosn't explain how the offender managed to use a recording of the user's voice ??? it was an exact copy of him saying catch you later (or somthing like that) and it was a recording of him before he left TS last night.

The only thing i can link it to is some one had to have recorded his voice that night, there for the culprit had to have been in TS under another name before coming back in with the user's name and using the recording.

The only guys that came on last night from other clans and not from TOGA was Problem and his mate's from LW and JumpBSBmaster. So if they dont show up again we know why as they have now been banned lol.

GunwitchUK

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Oct 24, 2010
York
I'd like to know who's name was copied and who it was who came on as copied person. It's annoying and curious at the same time, especially if they used someone's voice!!!! Is nothing sacred!

Nibbles

Donator
Sep 25, 2010
This dosn't explain how the offender managed to use a recording of the user's voice ??? it was an exact copy of him saying catch you later (or somthing like that) and it was a recording of him before he left TS last night.

The only thing i can link it to is some one had to have recorded his voice that night, there for the culprit had to have been in TS under another name before coming back in with the user's name and using the recording.

The only guys that came on last night from other clans and not from TOGA was Problem and his mate's from LW and JumpBSBmaster. So if they dont show up again we know why as they have now been banned lol.

I havent been online this week, due to other committments, so I dont know whats been going on. But,I know pretty much everyone in LW(I was a senior member for a long time) and I am pretty sure that none of them would do something like this. Problem is a really nice guy and a good friend of mine. I would be shocked and surprised if he hacked/copied anothe user's account.
As for BSBJumpMaster the guy doesnt seem the sort to do anything like this.

I think you need to look elsewhere for culprits.

Sparky1984

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Not Accusing any one buddy, just saying who was on other than TOGA that's all. It is an open TS so I may have missed someone who may have been on at that point of time. it was just bizarre what happened that's all :) Who ever it was has been banned now so it's not an issue any more, I was just trying to work out how someone's voice was recorded during that time on the server and who was on and so on. If it did seem like I was pointing fingers then sorry didn't mean it to come across like that it was just a theory:)